QNAP – Manually Mounting a Belligerent eSATA Drive Filesystem

It seems I’m complaining about my oldest QNAP every other week. Arguably, given the sweat equity invested in these devices, I’d be better off just replacing it. But I persist nonetheless. Recently I had to evacuate the array again and replace a drive. No, I know I shouldn’t have to do that but … look, fine. Anyway, I had used a combination of eSATA docked HDDs, a Windows 7 HTPC and some USB drives (basically whatever had capacity) to copy the data off. When I had the NAS sorted, I started to copy data back. This all went fine until I got to the last SATA drive. I kept getting a message that the filesystem wasn’t recognised. Even though the NAS had created said NTFS filesystem for me. It was a bit weird.


The solution, after a bit of searching, was to manually mount the filesystem and copy off the files. Here’s how to do it.

Firstly, you can identify the device via dmesg.

[150521.371058] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Seagate  ST2000DL003-9VT1 CC32 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[150521.377213] Check proc_name[ahci].
[150521.389517] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdza] 3907029168 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.81 TiB)
[150521.396630] Check proc_name[ahci].
[150521.403685] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdza] Write Protect is off
[150521.409037] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdza] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[150521.409217] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg676 type 0
[150521.415783] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdza] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[150521.448217]  sdza: sdza1 sdza2 sdza3 sdza4
[150521.469368] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdza] Attached SCSI disk

Create a mount point on the NAS to mount the device to.

[~] # cd /mnt
[/mnt] # ls
[/mnt] # mkdir tmpmnt

Once that’s done, you can mount the device. In this case I’m using ntfs-3g as I know it’s a NTFS filesystem. If you’re using something else, like ext4, then the mount command will be different.

[/mnt] # ntfs-3g /dev/sdza3 /mnt/tmpmnt/
[/mnt] # cd /mnt/tmpmnt/
[/mnt/tmpmnt] # ls
[/mnt/tmpmnt] #

And you can then copy the files to where you need them to be. Note that while I said this was a problem with eSATA, it was really a problem with the filesystem, not the transport mechanism, as using USB didn’t work either.