Welcome to Random Short Take #78. We’re hurtling towards the silly season. Let’s get random.
- I mentioned verge.io in one of my recent short takes. Chris M. Evans has done the heavy lifting for me and written about test driving the verge.io Software-Defined Data Centre. Worth checking out.
- Speaking of SDDCs, this article on automating VM Migration AND their Firewall rules to VMC was super useful.
- I’ve been a Dropbox user for some time, and as disk-slinger in a former life, I really enjoy reading the company’s tech blog. This post on cloud storage abstraction with Object Store was great.
- Data breaches – everyone’s having them. Are you missing out? It’s probably just a matter of time. While you’re waiting, check out this article from Preston – John Proctor and Data Breaches.
- It’s always sad when a startup stops. Mellor writes that Pavilion Data – last NVMe over Fabrics flash array startup – has died. I had the opportunity to take the kit for a spin in a previous role, and spent some time with some of their people. Smart folks doing interesting things. I hope those impacted land on their feet.
- In press release news, Imply has announced a major Open Source Contribution for Apache Druid; as well as a new financial guarantee for Apache Druid users.
- I always enjoy talking to Chris about his Plex setup, because he’s taken it to the next level. Here’s a great article he put together on how to automate lighting with Plex playback.
- Finally, our old friend VMware vCenter Converter is back. You can download it from here.