Happy New Year. Some of this news is old news now, but I’m posting it anyway. Let’s get random.
- Tom Hollingsworth had a good experience upgrading his Ubiquiti gear recently. I did the same with some Google Nest stuff and didn’t. That should tell you which one of us has a clue what he’s doing. I do like to hear about things actually working though.
- Speaking of things not working, it sounds like JB had a great time with one of Australia’s largest telcos recently. The poor customer experience just seems relentless at times.
- On to more entertaining things, the Netflix folks posted an interesting read on how they rebuilt the Netflix video processing pipeline using microservices.
- Jon Waite posted a few detailed articles (here and here) on building a nested Proxmox VE cluster on ESXi.
- You ever thought about using a software-based tape redirector? Me neither, but StarWind has developed one, and you can read about it here.
- I love Content Delivery Networks (CDNs), and so I loved this article on CDNs over at GigaOm.
- In press release news, Hammerspace has made some announcements, as has DH2i.
- But my favourite bit of news is this announcement from Chris Colotti that he’s exiting the IT game. I was super pumped to read this, and wish him all the best. We all want to get out, and stories like this give us hope.